Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Slow Down

This is what went through my head this morning (if you want to skip this part, that's ok too. It probably won't make any sense to you anyways):

. . . . What? 7:28? Late as always.  How does time disappear so fast? Ok, forget doing your hair and grab your stuff.  There's your tote bag; now, where is your folder and notebook? Oh, in your backpack from babysitting last night.  Ok, got that.  Get your phone.  Where is it?  Oh, it's charging; ok, got it. Got to go.  Oh wait, I need to stop by Kohl's after school for that dumb red polo for Target training tomorrow.  Ugh training.  And don't forget about Bath & Body Works training on Sunday.  Who makes a mandatory training session at 10 am on Sunday? Where's that coupon?  On the desk?  No.  On the dresser?  No.  In your pocket from last night?  No.  Ok I give up.  Going down the stairs.  No time to pack lunch; I guess I'll order.  Hmmm breakfast. . .  . banana to go sounds like a good option.  "Good morning, Meema.  Hi mom, I can't find the Kohl's coupon and I don't know what to do.  Bye"  I guess I can come home and look for that coupon before going to Kohl's.  Why won't the car door open?  Oh, it's always helpful to unlock the door in order to get in.  Good job, Katie.  Alrighty, let's go!  7:35!?!  Oh right, it's 2 minutes fast so it's really 7:33.  Ok, I can still make it to school in time.  Oh no, don't you geese dare cross the road right now.  Stay over there!  Ya, that's right.  Good geese.  Ok, Katie, you're going to make it on time, it will be ok.  WHAT!?! A TRAIN???  Since when do trains come at this time??  Oh good, it's ending.  Ok, we're moving now.  Lalala anything good on the radio?  Nope.  Another red light?  Of course I would catch all the red lights this morning when I'm running later than normal.  Hmm gas station. . . . I need to get gas soon, but not today!  WHOA lady, what are you thinking? HONK HONK.  I'm ten feet away and she decides that's the perfect gap for her to turn through?  Come on!  Use your brain.  Ok, well good thing I didn't ram into her.  Why are you cars going so slow?  20mph?  Don't you know the speed limit is 45??  Come on!  Oh, there's a tractor up there.  Goody.  Is it even legal for those things to drive on the road?  Maybe he will turn at this road.  Oh he's not.  Greeeaaaattt.  Well, definitely going to be late now.  Ok, it's ok 'cause I'm turning here.  He's turning here too? Grrr.  You're going on the same back roads as me?  Are you going to VCA?  Seems like it.  Can I pass you, Mr. Tractor?  Why are you driving in the middle of the road?  Not cool and not safe.  So many cars coming the other way, I can't pass.  Oh you really are going the exact same way that I am.  Sooooo sloowwwww. Well, I guess this this your reminder for the day to slow down, Katie.  Wait, slow down? God, are You trying to teach me a lesson right now? I don't really have time for a lesson right now.  My brain is on information overload from school and I have this paper to write and two jobs to train for and crazy life at home.  Now is not the time.  Slow down? Slow down for what? or from what?It's 8:00. I'm supposed to be at school right now.  I'm totally going to miss morning devotions.  Well, nothing I can do about it now; I'll get there when I get there. . . .

     Wow! That ended up a whole lot longer that I intended it to be. If you followed that crazy thought conversation: Congratulations! You now know a little better how my mind works.  For those of you who have no idea what that said: Don't worry about it.  That was really just to help me de-stress a little anyways.

     So basically, all that to say that I got a reminder today to slow down and that my priorities have not been in the right place.  Now, of course, I already knew that.  I just kept pushing it on the back burner and telling myself I'd deal with it later.  My priorities have been all mixed up with me being concerned with school and jobs.  To be honest, I have had a really hard time remembering (or just having the motivation, for that matter) to have my personal quiet time with God in the morning.  My excuse? It's 6 am.  Not keeping things in line with God first has made me stressed about everything.  I don't even have a desire to spend time with my family and my grandparents because they stress me out.  It is time for me to slow down and evaluate what is really important.  I know from experience that if I put God as number one in my life, then everything else falls in line, and he gives me peace about waiting on his plans rather than acting on my plans.
     
    What now?  Well, now I know it is time to get back into the word.  And since I'm writing this here, I expect you guys to keep me accountable!  My challenge to myself is that when my alarm goes off tomorrow to not hit the snooze button and go back to sleep, but to actually get up and read my Bible.  20 minutes of sleep doesn't make that much of  difference, anyways.

Thanks for reading my rambling thoughts.  I love you guys!

Katie

3 comments:

  1. We can still keep each other accountable. I've been slowly seeing myself going down the same path.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite enjoyed the beginning novel :) Definitely a good reminder! Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I thought YOU would appreciate that, Lex :)

      Delete